2013 Agenda – Part 1
SATURDAY 23RD NOVEMBER
|8:00 – 8:30 a.m.||REGISTRATION|
|8:30 – 9:30 a.m.||INTRODUCTION TO HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY
• Importance of optimization of all hormones as per the medical literature
• Health and quality of life benefits
• The best preventive medicine to maintain well-being and reduce morbidity & mortality
• Normal is not optimal; and optimal is best
• Examples of optimal labs vs. normal labs
• HRT replacement: Have we been doing it incorrectly all this time?
• What we should know about hormones but were never taught
• Why we do what we do based on the medical literature
|9:30 – 10:30 NOON||HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE = HUMAN HEALING HORMONE
• HGH: What doesn’t it do? It does everything good
• A literature review demonstrating improvement in health & well-being
• The safest hormone without side effects when administered correctly
• Prescribing, monitoring, adjusting, documenting for HGH
• Which test is best: growth hormone levels, ITT, IGF-1, IGF-PB3
|10:30 – 10:45 a.m.||BREAK|
|10:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||TESTOSTERONE: SAFE AND NECESSARY FOR BOTH MEN AND WOMEN
• Various types are available but which is best?
• Applications: How, where, why, and when to apply
• Complications, precautions, side effects and monitoring
• What levels are normal and what levels are optimal
• PSA, free PSA, and prostate cancer
• DHT, Estradiol, Finasteride, Anastrazole, 5α-reductase inhibitors, & aromatase inhibitors
• Literature review
TESTOSTERONE FOR WOMEN: THE FEEL-GOOD HORMONE FOR WOMEN TOO
• It is not just a male hormone
• What types, doses and levels work best
• Application: How, where, why and when to apply
• Side effects and treatment with Spironolactone
• Extensive literature review
|12:30 – 1:30 p.m.||LUNCH BREAK|
|1:30 – 2:30 p.m.||MELATONIN, DHEA AND PREGNENOLONE: ALL HORMONES PROVIDE HEALTH BENEFITS
• Melatonin: The great sleep and immune enhancer
• Treatment & prevention for cancer, HTN, migraines
• Administration & monitoring: How much is enough?
• DHEA: How DHEA improves health and longevity
• DHEA: How to prescribe, monitor, and adjust for maximum benefit
• A literature review supporting optimal levels
• Side effects and use of spironolactone
• Pregnenolone: The mother of all sex hormones
• Memory enhancer? And what about cancer?
• A literature review of these hormones
• Administration, monitoring and adjustments
|2:30 – 4:00 p.m.||MENOPAUSE: ESTROGEN & PROGESTERONE ARE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY FOR HEALTH & WELL-BEING
• Natural vs. synthetic; Risk vs. benefit – a literature review of types of estrogens
• Health benefits and feel-good benefits of HRT
• Don’t fear it: The most recent consensus views
• Informed consent for stopping HRT and harm of hormone deprivation
• What types of estrogen: How, what, where, why?
• ACOG and NAMS: no study to show efficacy of BHRT – wrong!
• Doses, monitoring levels, adjusting, selection: What works best and when
• The importance of serum monitoring
• Transdermal vs. oral: Benefits and harm of each
• Does age make a difference?
• Indication and contraindications: Problems with synthetic vs. bio-identical vs. compounded
• New evidence that contradicts the conclusions of the WHI Trial.
• Different strategies for managing PMS, Peri-menopause, and Menopause
PROGESTERONE: JUST AS IMPORTANT AS ESTROGEN
• Absolutely necessary in all women at whatever age
• A literature review: There is not one negative study
• Protection against breast cancer, uterine cancer, heart disease
• MP ≠ MPA, natural vs. synthetic, good vs. harmful
• If some is good, more is better? Absolutely!
• Dosing, monitoring, adjusting, and the importance of optimization
• Serum vs. saliva testing and harm of progesterone deprivation
COMPOUNDED BHRT: THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY
• From worthless to lifesaving: It all depends on quality and dosing
|4:00 – 4:15 p.m.||BREAK|
|4:15 – 5:30 p.m.||THYROID: WHY PATIENTS DEMAND IT
• The most misunderstood and ignored hormone
• Thyroid test is normal, so what?
• Types of hypothyroidism
• Does your patient need their thyroid to be optimal? You bet!
• Understanding lab values
• What is responsible for low thyroid symptoms when TSH is normal?
• Types of thyroid hormones, dosing, monitoring, adjusting
• Treatment of fatigue: TSH or Free T3?
• Endocrine viewpoint (labs) vs. patient perspective (symptoms)
• Signs and symptoms of sub-optimal thyroid replacement and treatment
• Literature support for optimization: Treat the labs or the patient?
• Improvement of health and well-being through optimization
|5:30 – 6:30 p.m.||SUMMARY & REVIEW
• Interesting cases
• HRT indications, contra-indications, risks, benefits
• Side effects, problems, complications
• Dosing & adjustment of various types available with lab reference comparisons
• Cautions, suggestions, things to do, and mistakes to avoid